Technical. Tactical. Efficient. Nick is unlike most privacy consultants, or software engineers, you've met. He works at the intersection of technology, business and law, with extensive experience building modern, cloud-native software for some of the world's largest and most innovative companies, as well as acting as a product and privacy counsel in large firm and in-house settings. Nick's experience as a senior software engineer and consultant informs his practice, giving him technical competence and a practical, agile approach that sets him apart.
- 2011: Obtained Juris Doctor from the University of Toronto, graduating with highest standing in Communications Law and Information Technology
- 2012: Practiced full-contact commercial litigation at a Bay Street law firm in Toronto, with experience in arbitration, and mediation, as well as group and class actions before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) and the Ontario Court of Appeal
- 2015: Software development consultant to a global FinTech leader on the design and development of a regulatory knowledge and compliance software platform
- 2017: Product & Privacy Counsel at Hootsuite, a global leader in social media management, responsible for the company's GDPR compliance strategy and advising on commercial, IP, and regulatory matters for its portfolio of products
- 2018: Founder & Principal Consultant, Fieldwork Inc., providing consulting services related to privacy, data protection and software development
Nick obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Toronto in 2011 and was called to the Ontario bar in 2012. He spent the first four years of his legal career practicing high stakes litigation at a pre-eminent Canadian law firm, acting for Fortune 500 companies on a number of complex contested matters related to competition law, patent pricing regulation, contractual disputes, franchise law disputes, and claims involving privacy and data protection. During this time, Nick gained extensive experience with private arbitration, mediation, and litigation of large group and class actions. Nick has appeared before the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board, the Federal Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List), and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
A self-taught software developer since high school, and 2004 SXSW Web Award winner, Nick decided to leave private practice in 2015 in pursuit of his desire to make legal work more efficient. At this time, Nick began consulting for a leading global fintech company on the design and development of a regulatory knowledge and compliance software platform. Working closely with the product owner and business analyst, Nick designed and coded the first iteration of the UI front-end framework for Finastra's Fusion Compliance Management platform.
In 2017, Nick went in-house and served as Product and Privacy Counsel to Canadian high growth social media startup,Hootsuite. Nick designed and led the development of Hootsuite's data protection and GDPR compliance strategy, an exercise in change management that involved coordinating the tactical and strategic implementation of compliance initiatives across 20 different divisions within the company.
In 2018, Nick founded Fieldwork Inc., a privacy and software development consulting firm, to provide businesses with embedded expertise on data protection and privacy-first product development. Through Fieldwork, Nick helps high growth startups and organizations across financial services, social media, healthcare, and AI & machine learning, build products and services that people trust.
- Juris Doctor, University of Toronto
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / Canada (CIPP/C)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / Europe (CIPP/E)
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, Law Society of Ontario